Production ship fitting operations aboard ship vessels and Fabrication shop. Components to fit/fabricate include but are not limited to structural parts, deck plates, bulkheads and foundations using Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Flux-Cored Arc Welding (FCAW) and Gas Metal Arc Welding Pulse (GMAW-P) processes.
Ship fitting operations include rip/outs by oxy-fuel torch cutting, plasma cutting and at times cold cutting.
Must be able to work within a team-based environment to accomplish all aspects of ship fitting and welding fabrication.
Candidates may be required to travel to different BAE Systems sites or Naval Bases.
- Minimum of 3 years shipyard Journeyman level experience as a Journeyman ship fitter.
- Must be skilled and experienced in 5XXX aluminum process, to include PCP work.
- Must be able to obtain DBIDS credential/Government clearance to enter NAVSTA and Navy Vessels.
- Ability to accomplish ship-fitting operations aboard vessels and shipboard environments.
- Must be able to rip-out, fabricate and install components based on NAVSEA drawing requirements with minimum direction given.
- Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently.
- Must be able to pass a hands-on welding practical test on SMAW, FCAW and GMAW-P (5XXX Aluminum) by way of a VT NDT within no more than two attempts.
Welding test will consist of partial penetration fillet weld test plates in three positions each; overhead (4G), vertical (3G) and horizontal position (2G).
- Must be able to pass an oxy-fuel torch test within first attempt.
- Must have own basic ship-fitter tool kit.
- Must be able to understand, read and interpret welding symbols based on the requirements of Military Standard 22-D and have working experience with Military Standard 1689, DM 10-623B and CG-47 Crack Repair Manual.
- Ability to cross-craft between ship fitting and welding.
- Ability to interpret and understand NAVSEA drawings/blueprints.
- Good communication and good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts (1st shift 6:00am to 2:30pm, 2nd shift 3:00 to 11:00).
- Must possess basic reading, writing and mathematical skills.
- Must be physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position.
- Must be able to work at heights, in confined spaces and have the ability to climb staircases and ladders of varying sizes.
- Must be able to carry personal tool bag weighing anywhere from 20-30 lbs.