Accomplish production welding aboard ship vessels and Fabrication shop. Components to weld include but are not limited to structural parts, deck plates, bulkheads and foundations using Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Flux-Cored Arc Welding (FCAW), Gas Metal Arc Welding Pulse (GMAW-P) and Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) processes.
Must be able to work within a team-based environment to accomplish all aspects of welding and fabrication.
Candidates may be required to travel to different BAE Systems sites or Naval Bases.
- Minimum of 5 years shipyard Journeyman level experience as a Journeyman welder.
- Must be highly skilled and experienced in 5XXX aluminum process, to include PCP work.
- Must be able to obtain DBIDS credential/Government clearance to enter NAVSTA and Navy Vessels.
- Ability to accomplish welding processes aboard vessels and shipboard environments.
- Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently.
- Must be able to pass a hands-on welding practical test on SMAW, FCAW and GMAW-P (5XXX Aluminum) by way of x-ray NDT within no more than two attempts.
- Welding test will consist of full penetration butt weld test plates in three positions each; overhead (4G), vertical (3G) and horizontal position (2G).
- Full penetration welds 2G and 3G with ceramic backing, 4G with permanent backing.
- Must have own basic welder tool kit.
- Must be able to understand, read and interpret welding symbols based on the requirements of Military Standard 22-D and have working experience with Military Standard 1689, DM 10-623B and CG-47 Crack Repair Manual.
- Ability to cross-craft between ship fitting and welding.
- Ability to interpret and understand NAVSEA drawings/blueprints.
- Good communication and good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts (1st shift 6:00am to 2:30pm, 2nd shift 3:00 to 11:00).
- Must possess basic reading, writing and mathematical skills.
- Must be physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position.
- Must be able to work at heights, in confined spaces and have the ability to climb staircases and ladders of varying sizes.
- Must be able to carry personal tool bag weighing anywhere from 20-30 lbs.