Duties and Responsibilities:
*This is a non-exhaustive overview of the job duties for this position.
- Installs railroad track and embankments including special track work, road crossings, signage, and rail lubricators
- Capable of using hand and power tools and a wide variety of sizes and types of track machines including:
- Spike pullers, spike drivers, tie adze, hydraulic rail jacks, power wrenches, tie boring machines, rail drills, rail grinders, and rail saws
- Highway trucks equipped with rail guide wheels, hydraulic booms, and lift gates to remove and replace ties, rails, fasteners - cut or screw spikes, anti-creepers, bolts, elastic clips, insulators, rail seat pads, and conventional and insulated rail joints, special track work components, crushed rock ballast, crossing surfaces, paving, subgrade material, vegetation, signs, and structures.
- May work as a member of a crew or independently.
- May work under the direction of a Railroad Track Foreman or Railroad Track Welder.
- Regular and consistent engagement, participation and promotion of Herzog’s Culture and its essential behaviors are a requirement for this position.
- Regular and predictable attendance and punctuality are a requirement for this position.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED, or equivalent work experience
- Entry level, on-the-job training provided
- Ability to complete work under time pressures and to maintain composure under the stress of emergency situations.
- Must be able to work well with others.
- Able to read, write and communicate (speak, hear, and understand) the English language.
- Company provides required Personal Protective Equipment including a Safety Boots Allowane Program.
Desired skills, not required:
The below skills are not required but may permit an increase in entry-level wage:
- Ability and completion of a Class A CDL – through company provided CLD reimbursement program
- Experience in railroad track construction and/or maintenance. Experience using various machines for railroad construction or maintenance work in an operating railroad environment preferred.
- Knowledge of safe and proper procedures for operating track tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of safe and efficient manipulation of equipment and tools to perform construction and maintenance tasks.
- Subject to pre-employment background check and motor vehicle report review.
- Subject to pre-employment physical, medical evaluation, and drug screen due to the safety sensitive nature of this position.
- Successfully complete and maintain any required safety certification and testing on an annual basis.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and endorsements as required per position.
The physical demands described below must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions of this role. This position will be physically demanding at times. This is a non-exhaustive overview of the physical requirements of this job.
- Regularly lift up to 75 pounds of weight, up to an end height of 36 inches for a distance of up to 10 feet.
- Regularly lift up to 50 pounds of weight, up to an end height of 48 inches for a distance of up to 10 feet.
- Regularly carry weight up to 16 pounds for a distance of up to 100 feet.
- Regularly push/pull a force up to 25 pounds for up to eight minutes continuously.
- Regularly grasp/squeeze equipment or tools with a force up to 40 pounds.
- Regularly ascend and descend a 10 step ladder with up to 25 pounds. Frequently climb on/off equipment.
- Regularly ascend/descend a step with a height of 28 inches from the floor.
- Regularly kneel, bend, squat for extended periods of time.
- Regularly sit and stand for an extended period of time.
- Able to walk on uneven surfaces up to 1 mile.
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet).
- Available to work a 40 hour work week subject to overtime, on call and alternate shifts that may include weeknights, weekends and holidays.
- Must successfully pass color/vision examinations as required by the position.
- Must be able to hear and distinguish auditory signals.
- Herzog is nationally recognized for its excellent corporate safety record which results from all employees at all levels, in all positions adhering to established policies and procedures. Reporting any and all safety violations to your immediate supervisor is a prerequisite for continued employment. Safety diligence by all results in a safe work environment for all.
- Herzog offers a robust benefits package including medical and dental coverage. The plans are specific to projects and locations
Led by our beliefs and executed through our behaviors, at Herzog we build upon each other’s contributions by collaborating to make great things possible.
When you join Herzog, we give you the ability and authority to do the same. We will help you take charge of your 20 square feet in a manner that you will facilitate your growth and advancement as a person, as a member of our professional family and in your career.
It is the policy of Herzog Contracting Corp. to provide equal opportunity in employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, age, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, military status, veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law.