The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Collects delinquent tax and secures delinquent returns from taxpayers who have not resolved their obligations in response to prior correspondence or other contact. Conducts interviews with taxpayers (and/or their representatives) in different environments such as the business location, residence or office as part of the investigative process of collecting delinquent taxes and securing delinquent tax returns. Taxpayers at this level normally include individuals with relatively large gross income from diversified sources, self employed professionals, medium sized partnerships, corporations involved retail, manufacturing, construction, wholesale, and other businesses as well as smaller businesses with valuable or unusual assets.
- Counsels taxpayers on their tax filing, deposit and payment obligations actions needed to bring taxpayers into full compliance. Provides guidance and service on a wide range of financial problems to assist the taxpayer toward a positive course of action to resolve tax issues. Works with the taxpayers and their representatives to develop a plan of action to resolve all delinquencies. Takes enforced collection actions, when apporpriate,
- Provides customer service by respecting and explaining the taxpayer's rights, IRS policies and procedures. Provides instructions, and analyzes issues presented by taxpayers, practitioners and IRS employees. Customer service is based upon learning, interpreting, and applying IRM policies and procedures, regulations, court decisions, state and local laws, and various Titles of the United States Code. Provides instructions, and analyzes issues presented by taxpayers, practitioners and IRS employees. Resolve account discrepancies and responds to taxpayer and practitioner requests.
- Meets taxpayers or their representatives at the business location or residence for non business taxpayers in order to view the assets or number of employees, or to observe indications of hardship or business failure. Conducts interviews with taxpayers (and/or their representatives) with the purpose of securing complete financial information and assessing the taxpayer's ability to pay outstanding tax obligations.
- Performs credit and financial analysis of the taxpayer financial records to determine the taxpayer's financial condition and ability to pay outstanding tax obligations and prevent future delinquencies. Analyzes financial information and evaluates assets. Applies expense standards and provides guidance on a wide range of financial alternatives to assist taxpayers in identifying options that could assist in resolving delinquent tax obligations including installment agreements, offers in compromise or suspending collection action. Evaluates and compares taxpayers' financial information to internal and external sources to verify taxpayers' financial condition. The purpose of the analysis is to develop a clear plan of action to resolve the case. For business taxpayers, analyzes financial statements that include balance sheets, income statements and profit and loss statements.