Location: Memphis, TN
Salary: $36,000 per year
About Grameen America, Inc.
Grameen America Inc. (GAI) is the fastest growing microfinance nonprofit organization in the United States, dedicated to helping low-income entrepreneurial women build businesses to achieve financial independence and mobility. Founded in 2008 by Nobel Peace Prize recipient Mohammad Yunus, Grameen America uses a proven group-lending model based on trust and shared accountability to support female entrepreneurs with affordable loan capital, asset and credit building tools, training & peer support.
In 2021, Grameen America launched the Elevate initiative to accelerate the organization’s commitment to racial equity. The Elevate initiative aims to meaningfully address systemic barriers and funding gaps that women in financially underserved Black communities face. Elevate branches are currently located in Harlem, NY, Newark, NJ, Memphis, TN, and Atlanta, GA with plans to expand nationally and reach 80,000 Black women entrepreneurs over the next decade.
The Community Development Associate (CDA) is an entry-level position responsible for increasing the branch’s membership base through various community outreach activities, building new relationships within the community, and maintaining existing ones. The CDA will also lead and manage all member-oriented meetings, which includes loan disbursements, repayments and verifications. The CDA will need to be a strong leader with the ability to lead and build cohesive member groups, facilitate weekly meetings and trainings, navigate various technology platforms, and manage data entry. Key skills for this position include professionalism, attention to detail, time management, responsiveness, and having the ability to multitask and manage a flexible schedule.
Outreach & Recruitment
- Spread awareness of the Grameen America lending program through community outreach activities and organizing to attract and recruit new members.
- Grow member base to achieve designated membership growth targets.
- Maintain accurate documentation of all member searches and other recruiting activities.
- Follow all company standards pertaining to recruitment activities.
- Set and manage member expectations regarding program participation (regular meeting attendance and loan repayment).
- Build meaningful relationships with members.
- Provide quality customer service support when dealing with members to ensure member satisfaction.
- Facilitate regular group meetings (virtually and in person); model high engagement behaviors such as starting and finishing meetings on time, using camera when virtual, treating all participants with respect.
- Manage effective communication with members including via phone, text, email and in person engagement.
- Provide trainings pertaining to a variety of topics relating to Business and professional development, support the “whole” entrepreneur.
- Resolve member concerns, issues, and questions in a timely and professional manner.
- Treating all participants with respect and bringing a high level of energy to every interaction with participants.
- Monitor members’ loan amount and related activities, including compliance with loan criteria, disbursements, collection of repayments, and reconciling daily payments.
- Maintain accurate records for all transactions within member center and branch (such as proper cash matching and posting, compliance with required notifications, etc.).
- Accurately input and track members loan payments and other relevant data in appropriate systems.
- Responsible for collection and recovery of all due loan repayments in their respective loan portfolio, including working with the member to develop a plan to address and resolve any financial challenges.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficiency in English required.
- Excellent customer service skills with strong written and communication skills.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, punctuality, discipline, and attention to detail.
- Basic logical reasoning and numeric skills.
- Ability to work independently and with a team-player mentality.
- Openness to receiving positive and negative feedback.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate availability of members, center meeting facilitation, info. sessions etc. (Including sometimes adjusting hours to early mornings/late evenings and attendance at weekend events)
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS and/or 1-3 years of work experience with community organizing outreach and client recruitment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel a plus.
- Knowledge and heavy usage required in using computer, laptop, iPad, smartphone, and other similar electronic devices.
- Depending on location, valid driver’s license required.
What We Offer You:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Generous Paid Time Off options for vacation, sick, and personal days
- Paid Holiday Schedule
- 401K retirement savings plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Opportunity for advancement
- And more!
Grameen America is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Grameen America, Inc. participates in E-Verify.