The Payroll and People Analytics Manager loves People, Data, and Processes and is analytical and methodical, with deep experience in payroll administration and payroll regulations – this person will be our in-house expert on all things payroll and people analytics. The ideal candidate loves to ensure that all aspects of the administrative processing of employees are done accurately and timely, while also having fun and being a partner to the business.
This position is responsible for performing the accurate and timely recordkeeping and processing of payroll, benefits administration, timekeeping, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. This is not your typical payroll role; in addition to the traditional functions, it also requires the ability to have awesome relationships with external customers (including vendors) and internal colleagues, as well as the ability to extract, analyze, and interpret complex people related data to provide direction to leadership.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage the entire administrative processing of the employee life cycle from hire to exit accurately and timely with a focus on developing and improving processes
- Manage, review and improve all Payroll Processes. Process weekly payroll (including T&E, commissions and bonus) within Paychex and fund the 401K Plan
- Reconcile all payroll and benefit-related balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis
- Critically review and analyze current payroll, benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to increased efficiencies, cost-savings, and best-practice operational improvements
- Partner with business stakeholders and the HR Department to create and execute processes that support business decisions in human capital management
- Develop and lead data driven/evidence-based research that addresses critical HR issues in the areas of people metrics, reporting, and advanced analytics
- Automate, standardize, schedule and publish key reports and analyses to help disseminate data and insights in a controlled environment
- Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.), including temporary worker reporting.
- Develop and manage all vendors that supply people-related services to Western including payroll, benefits, 401(k), and timekeeping. Drive vendors to complete process improvement projects that improve Western’s handling of employee data.
- Ensure all employee data is included in the correct systems and that changes are processed quickly and accurately (department transfers/raises/benefits etc.)
- Complete all filings associated with state employment and corporate compliance when employees are hired in new states (unemployment/workers comp etc.)
- Work with our 401K and Worker’s Compensation auditors to provide them the support they need and ensure timely filings
- Never stop improving or learning
- Take any training, coaching, or mentoring you receive seriously and use it to make yourself a better employee
- Don’t be offended by constructive criticism, there’s room for improvement in every one of us
- Come up with great ideas and get them implemented
- Work smarter not harder – you won’t impress anyone here by working long hours
- Take personal responsibility to improve the company
- Fight to be the best, be an “A” player
- Recognize and understand your weaknesses and create a path to overcome them
- Strive for perfection and don’t miss the details
- Reach your full potential
- Show integrity in every action you take, don’t cut corners or be untrustworthy
- Be confident
- Stand out from the crowd – this is a competitive environment
- Be respectful, selfless, and empathetic
- Recognize that you’re no better than anyone else, practice ego management
- Believe that every person matters
- Treat everyone (co-workers, boss, customers, the lady at the checkout counter, the homeless guy on the corner, etc.) as a partner
- Fight like hell to satisfy every partner you interact with
- Recognize that collaboration and teamwork are always the best decisions
- If you have a better way of doing something, inspire your team to follow you – don’t go it alone
- Use compassion in your decision making and think about its impact on others
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Technical Capacity.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Project Management.
- High Emotional Intelligence
- Relationship Building
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bending or standing on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and must work 40 hours each week to maintain full-time status.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
Required Education and Experience
- BS/BA in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or related field; professional certification (e.g. CPP, CPM) is a plus
- Proficient with payroll software (Paychex) and MS Office
- At least 5 years of experience managing multi-state payroll for an organization with 200+ employees
- Experience in analysis and statistical modeling
- Excel expert
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Microsoft Power BI
Microsoft Excel VBA
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice