Job description: Under the general supervision of the Facilities Area Coordinator is responsible for the operation, maintenance and security of the school plant to which assigned, both buildings and grounds. Supports the coordinated requirements of the principal, staff and cafeteria personnel. Performs services generally in an elementary school, (with some exceptions) with a buildings area greater than 100,000 square feet.
- Supervises custodial personnel engaged in cleaning the building and caring for the grounds as well as those responsible for the operation and maintenance of the heating, ventilating, plumbing, drainage, sanitary and other mechanical and electrical mechanisms in the boiler room and elsewhere in the building.
- Cooperates with principal, teachers and staff in meeting their needs to perform a good educational Job with students and community.
- Maintains a high standard of cleanliness and neatness in buildings, grounds and sidewalks, maintains lawns and shrubbery in a neat and attractive manner and keeps grounds clear and free of ice and snow in winter. Protects the school against vandalism, fire, storm damage and other hazards.
- Keeps records of repairs, needs, requisitions, time-records when appropriate, and forwards all records to the Facilities Area Coordinator (FAC) in charge of the school area.
- Supervises a regular preventative maintenance program, cooperates with maintenance crews from the Warehouse as they work in the school plant. Submits work orders for repairs to the FAC, or when authorized by FAC directly to the Maintenance Division at the Warehouse.
- Receives stores and places all supplies, furniture, equipment in proper location: when received, except for cafeteria supplies. Sets up, dismantles or moves furniture and portable instructional equipment and supplies requested by principal and staff. Makes minor repairs on doors, bookcases etc. as required by the principal or staff.
- Maintains records in a boiler room IOR. Orders oil or other fuel in accordance with Buildings Division rules and regulations.
- Certifies for payment all purchase orders for custodial supplies.
- Reports by telephone to the Regional Office, damaged or stolen school property. In the event of absence or illness of self or other personnel informs the FAC.
- Performs work in the boiler room .
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions pertaining to all phases of custodial work.
- Ability to learn the methods and the appropriate materials, tools and equipment used in custodial work.
- Ability to learn how to operate and maintain high-pressure boilers and auxiliary boiler room equipment.
- Ability to maintain records.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to make minor building repairs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and school staff.
- Ability to meet approved physical and medical standards
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Possession of a Class A Stationary Engineer's license required. Please include proof of licensure in your online application.
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED) is required. The Executive Director of Personnel may determine the equivalency to include training, education and practical experience including attendance at trade and vocational schools. IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PRESENT A COPY OF GED OR DIPLOMA
- At least five years of experiences in custodial and boiler room work either within or outside the public school system are required. IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, YOU MUST PROVIDE DETAILS OF EXPERIENCE ON YOUR APPLICATION.
- At least two years service in a Custodial Assistant position or its equivalent is essential, although candidates in this grade may be employed from outside the system. IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, YOU MUST PROVIDE DETAILS OF EXPERIENCE ON YOUR APPLICATION.
- Knowledge of high pressure boilers and auxiliary boiler room equipment.
- Knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in janitorial work.
- Ability to supervise the work of others and willingness to work around children are important. Custodians must get along well with teachers and others in the instructional sector of the schools. They should be able to carry out orders and appreciate principles of sound business management.
- Must be aware of safety requirements in a school
Possession of a Class A Stationary Engineer's license required. Any other license or certification related to building operations preferred
Pay Rate : Starting at $47,000